Blessed to be a Blessing
Seven ways to GIVE
Thursday we are cutting old jeans up for shoes for children in Africa. As I write this, it feels a little silly. How can such a little action on our part impact the great evil of poverty? In itself, not much. If you look at the devastation all around the world it can be overwhelming. However, if we each do a little bit the cumulative effect will astound the world. Mother Teresa started by caring for the poor outside her door. In Henry Blackaby’s study Experiencing God, he encourages his readers to look where the Father is working and join Him. If we choose to live out our faith, we can influence the world for good.
What can I give?
- Money. This is an obvious one. Worthy organizations are in need of financial support. This allows them to further their work.
- Service. Give your time. Do something that helps someone else.
- Prayer. Pray for others who work in ministry. Prayer brings power. God’s Holy Spirit empowers us to accomplish His purposes. He moves through prayer. This is our communication tool with the creator of the Universe. Our awe-inspiring, profound, and mysterious God will move when we ask, if it is in accord with His purposes.
- Encouragement. Ministry work can isolate the individual. The needs of others weigh on the worker. Your encouragement whether communicated through written word or verbal acknowledgement makes a difference. Send a card, an email, a tweet, a post, a text, or give them a call. Your words may be an answer to their prayer.
- Priorities. Make giving a priority. Not as part of your leftovers but as an active part of each day. If you don't have enough money, give your time. No time? Give an act of kindness, a smile, or word of encouragement. Impact the world each day in a positive way. This is your choice. YOU CAN DO IT!
- Influence. Everyone influences someone. Coworkers, family, friends, and acquaintances are all influenced by your choices. The question is this: Are others blessed because you were part of their day? How can you impact those around you for good?
- Recreation. How do we spend time re-creating ourselves? What brings you joy and refreshment? Can you use it to give back to another? This is why so many walks, runs, and bike-a-thons are popular. People sew for others, cook for others, write for others, garden for others and the list goes on and on. Spread your recreational joy by doing it for and with others.
This is not a naïve principle. It is Biblical. God told Abraham in Genesis 12:2 (NIV) "I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing.” Jesus made us part of that nation. We are blessed to be a blessing. He amplified this in Luke 12:48 b (NLT) “When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required.” How will you give to another today?